I’m deeply curious, love to learn, pay attention to people, student of psychology, deft at communication, excel at networking, deeply tech-savvy and relish growing others through education and leadership.
Eric is a Leader, Veteran Strategist, Full Stack Developer, Entrepreneur & Communications Expert.
Eric is a polymath with the ability to learn almost anything whilst being an expansive thinker. Not seeing the world as a pile of discreet facts but seeing it as a matrix of interrelated data. Finding solutions both in other established fields & creating new solutions.
Having worked in many sectors – private, public, community, political, non-profit and government he has become an anthropologist of organisation & office culture.
As an experienced leader I balance the needs of stakeholders and those of my team. I catalyze the growth of others by facilitating opportunities for achievement, leadership and learning. I am deeply curious, love to learn, empathetic and thoughtful even as I remain proactive and decisive. I strive to build a positive, transparent and constructive culture and I thrive in a variety of environments.
You can find my Strength Finder results here:
- Leader – 15 years of leadership, led 31 teams, led up to 22,000 people and £1.1 Billion turnover. I have led over 20 Directors, Senior Managers, Managers.
- Software/IT – 13 years of technology experience, worked on codebases (both mobile and web) and IT infrastructure over the last 9 years as well as leading IT services for 6,000 users and 371 Schools for 3 years.
- Educator – Over 2 decades of certified training including Executives, Ministers and managers. As well as trained/coached people stepping into management for the first time
- Communications – 19 years of communications, marketing and product work.
- Global & Cultural – Have worked in 12 countries including US, Canada and Britain.
- Leadership – getting the best out of people and giving my best back
- Technology – Software, customer & product development and high level IT management
- Strategy – devising options, scenario planning, looking around corners, play to win, business model creation
- Marketing & Communications – Social, digital, print, branding, market research, real life, I have done it all
- Education – Mentoring, coaching, teaching, training & facilitation
- Community – Politics, government & community engagement
- Innovation & Creativity – thinking out of the box and other shapes, able to discern disparate patterns, intrapreneur and entrepreneur
- People – High EQ, people politics, culture, conflict resolution, matchmaking and student of psychology
- Organization Development – Alliances, mergers, restructures, change management, development, culture and real talent management
- 15 years of leadership, led 31 teams and led upto 400 staff and managed £71 million budget
- 13 years of technology experience, worked on codebases (both mobile and web) and IT infrastructure over the last 9 years as well as leading IT services for 6,000 users and 371 Schools for 3 years.
- 19 years in marketing & communications
- Led and supported hundreds of campaigns e.g. advertising, branding, marketing (product and service), public relation and over 100 public election campaigns
- Wide organizational cultural experience – having worked in private, public, community, political, non-profit and government sectors
- He has been a CEO, a governor of a University, has held elected office and been a cabinet member in the UK
- Worked on a number of mergers. Largest included seven organizations, 22,000 staff and £1.15 Billion turnover
- Training since 1992. Trained children, young people, students, managers, activists, political candidates, MPs and Ministers. Have being certified multiple times
- Worked in twelve countries (England, Wales, Northern Ireland, Ireland, France, Argentina, Australia, Thailand, Canada, United States)
Getting the best out of people and giving my best back
Eric has 15 years of leadership experience, 8 years at a senior exec level. He has led several divisions in communications, marketing and service delivery (both corporate and consumer-facing). As an executive he has been responsible for, in one instance, departments of £71 million in revenues and 400 staff. His board level experience includes service as Governor for a British university (University of Hertfordshire). To reinforce his experience and skills he took a number of postgraduate courses as part of a MBA program at Open University, UK. Throughout his career he has led 31 teams.
Eric has had 26 jobs where he has being responsible for both staff and strategy, in private, government and public sectors.
Sample of teams Eric was responsible for:
- Yello – 27 engineers, six scrum teams – Campus Recruiting/Events, Native Mobile Apps, Integrations, Core API, Core UI
- Enova -7 Mobile engineers in two teams, Android and iOS
- CastingWorkBook – 7 people -> 5 full stack engineers, 1 Product Designer and 1 DevOps
- Professional You – 4 people
- Vision Critical – 12 people – Two teams one Creative and one Marketing
- Cornwall Council (merged 6 councils into 1) – 22, 000 people, £1.1 Billion turnover
- Cornwall County Council – 400 people, £71 Million Turnover
- Liberal Democrats – 35 People
- Consumer Association – 24 People
- NCDL/Dogs Trust – 16 People
- University of Hertfordshire Students Union – 300 People, £3.5 Million turnover
Devising options, scenario planning, looking around corners, play to win, business model creation
Eric is good at connecting disparate dots and paying attention to trends. He is a natural and trained problem solver. He owns over 200 strategy games, he believes in testing ideas out. Whilst his nature is optimistic, he plans for several eventualities. He has ran hundreds of communication campaigns and participated in over 100 public elections.
He has taught strategy to hundreds of students in several different fields. His time in the tech startup community helped him learn how to build numerous business models and learn how to adapt them fast. With his insight of people he is able to factor in the human dimensions to both the big picture and the tactical delivery.
Eric has had 24 jobs where he has being responsible for both staff and strategy, in private, government and public sectors
Eric led multiple campaigns to create Mission, Vision and Culture Values:
- Multiple Organization alliances – NSPPC, NCDL, CA, CCC, BC Oil and Gas
- Organisation wide Mission, Vision, Culture – Cornwall County Council, Professional You, Vision Critical/Angus Reid Strategies
- Large Software Departments Cultural Values – Enova, Yello
- New Business and Products – Vision Critical, Professional You, Casting Workbook, Enova
Software, customer & product development and high level IT management
Eric‘s passion for new technology is part of his DNA. His father fixed mainframes for Digital/DEC, as a single father he often took Eric to work with him. Eric gained his first degree from the University of Hertfordshire, UK in Computer Science BSc Hons, and the IT consultancy (Pure Imagination) he set up at that time with a friend paid off his University debts and allowed him to travel the world.
Since then, he has been responsible for an IT department (over 100 people) serving 18,000 staff and during the merger described, was leader of the associated IT program.
Between 2011 and 2013 he took an Applied Web Development diploma and Applied Web Applications diploma, with over 10 courses with an average grade of 94% from BCIT, British Columbia Institute of Technology, Canada. He did this in the evening and weekends on top of his full-time job. After he focused on building his Ruby on Rails capabilities, whilst working for Apple as a “Genius”.
In 2014 he went full time as a Junior Rails developer. Working for a year as a full stack engineer he worked on multiple codebases full stack. In 2015 he was promoted to Product and Software Development Manager and recruited a team of developers and designers. In 2016 Eric moved to the US to work as a Manager of Software Engineering working on Mobile Apps both Android and iOS. He took courses at Big Nerd Ranch to further is coding skills. In 2018 he moved companies and is now leading over 20 engineers in four teams web, mobile and integrations, as a Senior Engineering Manager. In 2019 Eric started to study Artificial Intelligence at MIT.
Eric’s head is regularly buried in the latest sci-tech publication, in his spare time he builds new applications.
Eric has had 8 jobs as a Software Engineer, 1 as IT Consultant, 2 with IT Networks, 1 as Department leader and 1 as IT Trainer.
Marketing & Communications
Social, digital, print, branding, market research, real life, I have done it all
Eric has worked in communications for 19 years, in both Europe and North America. This has included the B2B and B2C marketing for businesses, brands, products, services, policies and individuals in the private, non-profit and government sectors.
In addition to leading divisions responsible for delivering core marcoms strategy and execution, nationally and internationally, Eric has also held roles responsible for advertising (print & digital), social media, employee comms, stakeholder comms, market research, information systems, information technology, product development, sales, fundraising, branding, public relations, CRM, VoC, public affairs and campaigns (political & charitable). This rare diversity of experience has facilitated Eric’s success in breaking down silos and building strong inter-linkages between practices.
Eric does not just work behind the scenes, but has been a public spokesperson for organizations and campaigns in countless media appearances and print interviews, and has frequently addressed audiences both large and small as a public speaker.
Eric has had 31 jobs in Communications & Marketing.
Mentoring, Training and Facilitation
Eric has trained many hundreds of individuals: from business leaders & executives, to campaigners, candidates and politicians, to youth & students. Eric’s training includes management and communication skills, media training, public speaking, negotiation, organization development, and conflict resolution, as well as desktop publishing, IT networks… and scuba diving. Eric has accreditations from a number of national organizations in training and also in training trainers.
Eric has also facilitated multiple strategic management sessions including one recently to establish a vision for an alliance between Petrochemical businesses in Canada as well as having acted as an independent chair for alliances.
Eric frequently takes on mentoring as a fundamental aspect to his management style, and helping mentorees understand their key drivers and values, and to make fundamental decisions their own way.
Eric has had 6 jobs as a instructor/trainer.
Politics, Government and Community engagement
Eric’s keen sense of social justice in communities is borne of his personal experience being brought up in the foster care system. He has himself been an advocate and elected official in a number of capacities – as well as political adviser to Government Leaders and Parliamentary MPs.
As an elected politician for over three years (in the UK), Eric both campaigned at grassroots level to build solutions for his constituent communities, as well as working at the macro level as a Cabinet Member responsible for delivering Communities and Cultural Services to a region of 500,000 individuals.
Within Canada, Eric was one of the core members of the successful Startup Visa Campaign and he also joined the Active Transportation Policy Council (for the City of Vancouver, BC).
Consequently, Eric is uniquely placed to provide strategic advice, understanding the total picture of the inter-relationships between individuals, communities, representatives and business. His insight into community-building has particular pertinence today for clients looking to understand the formation of virtual communities.
Eric has worked in 110 election campaigns, has stood and won 17 positions and being elected to public office. With responsibilities ranging from volunteer to nation wide head of campaigns. He has sat on 7 committees in a senior capacity. Worked in 6 non profits as campaigns lead, running a large number of issue based campaigns. In addition he has volunteered for a large number of organizations.
Innovation & Creativity
Thinking out of the box and other shapes, able to discern disparate patterns, intrapreneur and entrepreneur
Eric has been described as someone whose thinking simply cannot be put ‘into the box’, and who refuses to be limited by disciplines or dogmas.
His diversity of experience and active imagination enables him to make connections where other people do not. As a result, he has a reputation for encouraging creativity in people and challenges to innovate new ways to meet needs, whether formally or informally.
Some of his favourite ‘out of the box’ accomplishments include putting libraries on beaches, getting marketers to learn from gamers on engagement techniques, harnessing Digital TV’s to deliver health services, having run the most recognised charity campaign in the UK, and the idea behind his latest project Professional You which anticipates will make the resume redundant. It is worth noting that he is a very good cook, essentially because he is willing to try new things.
High EQ, people, culture, conflict resolution, matchmaking and student of psychology
He has been best man five times and brought many more couples and friends together. Professionally he has brought some awesome teams together. Perhaps it started due to Eric being a foster child and going to 12 schools (before college) and having to work out people fast.
Perhaps it is because he comes from two very different cultures British and Argentine. Regardless his curiosity has lead him to read an exceptional amount about people, psychology, sociology, anthropology, spending the last two years studying most of the published psychology work for the last decade AND listening to all the MIT psychology degree lectures( via podcast), AND building a team of psychology advisers for Professional You. Either way Eric is incredible curious about humans.
- Eric has been responsible for recruiting in 11 organisations – USHU, NUS, NCDL, CA, Liberal Democrats, CCC, Vision Critical, ProfessionalYou,Casting WorkBook, Enova and Yello
- Types of recruiting including adding to a team, building an entire team, campus recruitment, diversity recruitment
- Eric has built entire interview processes for Managers, Service Providers, Marketers, Designers, Software Engineers (Mobile, Test, FullStack and FrontEnd) and DevOps.
Alliances, mergers, restructures, change management, development, culture and real talent management
Eric has led and helped build a number of key alliances and strategic partnerships spanning private, public, non-profit and government sectors. Through these, Eric has developed an unparalleled understanding of organizational culture and its development, change management and alliance forming techniques.
On the implementation executive that merged seven organizations (with a total of 22,000 staff and £1.15 billion in revenues), Eric’s particular achievement was to realise a culture shift from bureaucratic to customer-centric throughout the new organization.
He also led an award-winning public-private partnership in Digital innovation, and a nationally recognized programme to reduce overlap and wastage between multiple service delivery organizations.
Success & Drive
Eric’s energy knows no bounds. Constantly striving to innovate and create, Eric brings vision, as well as his passion for developing both people and technology to every project. Campaigning and advocacy is in his blood – and it is this drive to succeed, as well as diverse experience and exceptional ability to see the big picture, that makes him a considerable asset to any organization.
Eric left school at 16 and started his working life in a restaurant kitchen at the age of 14.
Updated January 2019